Friday, March 26, 2010

Ethics

So as many of you know, I am an avid meat-eater and have been known to never let a scrap go to waste.  I have thought for a long time about the ethics of meat consumption in our western society, specifically the presence of a disconnect that allows people to enjoy meat without the "pesky" knowledge that the matter on the plate was once a living creature, a thought process that I find to be extremely unethical by its very nature.  Fortunately, last friday I had the opportunity to adress this ethical delima when a 2 years and 10 months old calf was brought by the house-staff to be slaughtered on site in order to feed the expedtion.  Even though it was difficult to see, I kept my eyes open and photographed the process of the calf's death and I feel I now have a better understanding of not oly life and death, but the processes by which we as human beings take life to provide nourishment.

Warning, the images below are quite graphic, If you don't like blood, you probably don't want to see them.




No comments:

Post a Comment